Joran Viers' Qualifications
- Master of Science in Teaching, Botany Department, University of Florida, 1994. Focus areas: Plant Ecology, Plant Taxonomy, Entomology, Education.
- Bachelor of Science (summa cum laude), Biology Department, University of New Mexico, 1992. Focus areas: Botany, Plant Ecology. Minor: Spanish.
Professional Involvement and Credentials
- Board Certified Master Arborist and Municipal Specialist, International Society of Arboriculture.
- Past board member, Rocky Mountain Chapter, International Society of Arboriculture.
- Board member and past-president, Think Trees New Mexico.
- Tree Risk Assessment Qualified.
- 2016 Municipal Forestry Institute graduate.
- NMDA Public Applicator Pesticide Licenses 3A and 3B. 2006 – current.
- First Detector Invasive Pest Training, New Mexico State University, 2008.
- Founding board member of the National Association of State Organic Programs (NASOP)
- Past board member of Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI)
Full-Time Professional Experience
- City Forester, City of Albuquerque, Park Management Division, Parks and Recreation Department.
- State Urban and Small Farm Horticulture Agent, New Mexico State University Cooperative Extension Service, Los Lunas, NM.
- County Program Director/Agriculture Agent, Bernalillo County Cooperative Extension Service, Albuquerque, NM.
- Agency Director, New Mexico Organic Commodity Commission, Albuquerque, NM.
- Farm Manager, University of Florida Horticultural Department Organic Gardening Research and Demonstration Farm, Gainesville, Fl.